Hello, I'm William, available via SMTP and XMPP at this domain with the username "wmorgan".
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.
I blog, on occasion.
I write a lot of code:
- Heliotrope, a personal email server for people with a lot of mail, and its glorious ncurses client, Turnsole.
- Whistlepig, a minimalist realtime full-text search index.
- LevelDB-Ruby, Ruby bindings to LevelDB, Google's fast, open-source in-process key-value store.
- Console, a Ruby library for properly displaying super-ASCII strings on the console.
- Whisper, my weblog platform.
- William's miscellaneous git tools.
- Trollop, a Ruby command-line processing / command-line argument parsing library.
- Ritex, a LaTeX math to MathML markup converter.
I leave behind me the wreckage of unmaintained or handed-off projects:
- Sup, an email client for people with lots of mail.
- Ditz, a distributed issue tracker.
- RubyTorrent, a Ruby BitTorrent library which is current unmaintained and please don't ask me for help with it.
I contribute code to other people's projects, with patches accepted to:
- Potion, a virtual machine.
- Ragel, a state machine compiler.
- Rubinius, a Ruby VM.
- Thrift, a cross-lingual RPC that doesn't suck.
- Ferret, the search engine behind Sup.
I once cared a lot about statistics and NLP stuff:
- How to rank products based on user input
- Smoothing users' votes
- Understanding the "Bayesian Average"
- Bayes vs MLE: an estimation theory fairy tale
- Hypothesis Testing for NLP (slides)